The current police department and training building is located at 1400 Marshall Road. The police and courts building at 1412 West Main Street was erected in 1964 and was expanded in 1978 and again in 1993. Prior to 1964, the police department was located at City Hall at 109 South Second street.
The First Vehicle
The first police vehicle purchased by the City of Jacksonville was a 1956 Ford (shown here with Clarence Garner, Jacksonville's first Chief of Police).
The First Jail
The first city jail was at 211 N. Spring Street and is still standing today.
Until 1956, Jacksonville had City Marshals (elected positions) for law enforcement.
Gregory Martinal (dates unknown)
Bruce Huffman (dates unknown)
Clarence Garner: 1946-1956 (Clarence Garner was also the Night Marshall from 1944-1946)
Chiefs of Police
In 1956, Jacksonville created the position of Chief of Police.